Found yourself with leftover pumpkin pie from Thanksgiving? Use up those leftovers and toss a slice into a blender for a delicious quick and easy Pumpkin Pie Milkshake.
So... you found yourself with leftover pumpkin pie from Thanksgiving and can't stand to eat another slice. You've also run out of whipped cream, and recently discovered pumpkin pie isn't that great without it (well, at least I did).
Toss some of that pie into a blender with ice cream and milk and you've got a reinvented dessert! It's super quick and easy with only 3 ingredients that you most likely already have on hand.
You can keep the crust on or you can remove it and crumble it on top. Either way, it's super tasty! And did I mention it uses a whole slice of pumpkin pie? No need for pumpkin puree and all that nonsense. This is real, with actual pie.
It's so wrong, I don't want to be right about how good it is. But you deserve a treat after surviving Thanksgiving!
Ingredients - Notes and Substitutions
- Pumpkin Pie - You'll need one large slice of leftover pumpkin pie from Thanksgiving. I like to keep the crust on.
- Milk - Use any type of milk you'd like, but I recommend whole milk or low-fat milk. This milk helps smooths out the shake that's otherwise pretty thick.
- Ice Cream - I found that any ice cream with a vanilla or cheesecake base works great for this milkshake! To keep this shake low calorie, you can also omit the vanilla ice cream and add a few ice cubes instead.
To top the milkshake, I like to use more pumpkin pie, whipped cream, and pumpkin spice. I'd also recommend saving a bit of pumpkin pie crust crumbles!
How to make a Shake with Leftover Pumpkin Pie
Start by prepping the pumpkin pie. Cut a large slice from the leftover pie. If you'd like to remove the crust and just do the filling, you can do that! Personally, I love the chunks of crust.
Add the milk, pumpkin pie, and ice cream to the blender. Blend everything until it's completely smooth.
Personally, I love a few chunks of pie and the crust so I pulse it until it's mostly smooth but I get those bits and pieces of pie with every slurp. So delicious!
How to Serve
To decorate this pumpkin pie shake, I like to:
- Slice tiny pieces of pumpkin pie and carefully lay that on top of the milkshake.
- Whip plain, unsweetened heavy cream. Top the pumpkin pie slice with a spoonful.
- Finish it off with a sprinkle of pumpkin spice.
- (Optional) Crumble a bit of pie crust to top off the milkshake.
Expert Tips and Tricks
Add the ice cream scoop! You can make this shake without any ice cream and enjoy it as a lower calorie mid-afternoon treat. However, add the scoop of ice cream and you have a delicious sweet treat on your hands. Perfect for pairing with other leftover Thanksgiving dishes, like Cranberry Sauce Coffee Cake Muffins.
Use a high quality blender. A bullet blender won't work that well for this, because it won't break down the pumpkin pie and you may be left with large chunks! Use a high speed blender like Vitamix.
Storage Instructions. If you don't use ice cream, you don't have to enjoy this right away! Cover the glass with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to a day. Give it a stir prior to drinking.
More Thanksgiving Recipes to try
Leftover Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie Milkshake
- 1 slice pumpkin pie
- 1 cup milk
- 2 scoops vanilla ice cream
- whipped cream, pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice, to decorate
- Add the pumpkin pie, milk, and vanilla ice cream to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer the shake to milkshake glasses. Top with a small slice of pumpkin pie, then whipped cream, and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice.
- Serve chilled.
Leave a Reply