Garam Masala Oven-Roasted Carrots are an easy-to make side dish that takes just a few minutes to prep! Carrots are simply tossed in oil, ginger garlic paste, and garam masala. They're topped in toasted, crunchy almonds and tart dried cranberries.
This side dish is quick and easy to go with other holiday dinner side dishes like Indian-style Tadka Mashed Potatoes and Honey Roasted Delicata Squash or with a weeknight dinner.
These savory roasted carrots have become a favorite of mine to add a pop of color and veggies to my dinner. I toss them in the oven at the same time as some chicken thighs and they're ready around the same time!
Oven-roasted carrots are a light golden brown and tender all the way through. The light caramelization from roasting them in a hot pan paired with the savory and warming garam masala mixture is delightful. The small amount of garam masala allows the natural sweetness of carrots to come through.
Toasted almonds add a bit of crunch to the otherwise tender carrots and the cranberries a bit of tartness. This easy side dish is well-balanced and a lovely light one to make for weeknight dinner or a holiday spread.
Why this Recipe?
These carrots are an unfussy side dish for your weeknight dinner!
- The ingredients are easy, minimal, and accessible. These days, you can grab garam masala at almost every grocer in their spice section.
- This recipe is ridiculously low effort. Prep the carrots, toss them in oil and garam masala, pop them into the oven, and they’re done!
- Garam Masala is a blend of warming spices, so you don’t need to add any more spices to pack a ton of flavor into these carrots besides a bit of ginger and garlic. It’s slightly elevated from plain, oven-roasted carrots.
- The roasted carrots are slightly sweet and tender, which is a perfect pairing with the savory spices. The side dish goes so well with other side dishes and a protein.
Ingredients - Notes and Substitutions
- Carrots - Use any type of carrots! Baby carrots, the fancy organic rainbow carrots from Whole Foods that still have the stem and elongated root attached, or a plain orange carrots. If they’re thick carrots, I’d recommend halving them lengthwise for a shorter cook time. Roasting the carrots in the oven causes a bit of caramelization that lets the naturally sweet flavor of the carrots to shine through.
- Garam Masala - This is a blend of warming spices and can easily be purchased online, at most major grocers, or at Indian specialty stores.
- Ginger Garlic Paste - A must in every Indian dish. It's equal amounts of ginger and garlic blended into a paste. Try this homemade Ginger Garlic Paste!
For garnish, I highly recommend dried cranberries for a bright fruity flavor, toasted almond flakes for crispy texture, and parsley or cilantro for freshness.
How to make Easy Oven Roasted Carrots
Preheat the oven to 425°F. This temperature is hot enough to caramelize the carrots and allows them time to tenderize without burning the thinner ends.
Combine the olive oil, garam masala, salt to taste, and ginger garlic paste in a small bowl. Mix the ingredients together really well.
Peel the carrots and trim the ends off if necessary. If the carrots are thicker than others, halve them lengthwise so they have the same cook time.
Transfer the carrots to an oven-safe baking dish. Pour the olive oil mixture over the carrots and toss them until well coated. Transfer the baking dish to the preheated oven.
Roast the carrots on one side for 10 minutes. Then, flip them over and continue to roast them for an additional 10 minutes, or until they are tender. Remove the baking dish from the oven.
Garnish the carrots with toasted almond flakes, dried cranberries, and parsley. Serve them warm as a side dish for a weeknight dinner!
To make the toasted almond flakes at home:
- Bring a small pan of water up to a boil. Remove the pan from heat and add in the almonds. Cover the pan and allow the almonds to soak for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Peel the skin off the almonds.
- Use a mandolin to evenly slice the almonds into slivers. If the slice isn’t clean, allow the almonds to soak in hot water a second time.
- Dry roast the almonds in a hot pan on the stove or bake them at 225°F in the oven for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Tips and Tricks
This recipe is so dang easy but here are a few things to note in case things go wrong:
- If the carrots are especially thick, cut them lengthwise so that they have an even roasting time. However, keep them intact if possible because they'll shrink in the oven.
- Don't overdo the garam masala, otherwise the concentrated heat on dark spices may cause them to burn. If anything, add an additional sprinkle of garam masala right after cooking and toss the carrots again.
- If you're using baby carrots or young carrots, reduce the roasting time by 5-7 minutes and start checking if they're fork tender around 15 minute minutes.
Serve these Garam Masala Oven Roasted Carrots for Thanksgiving with additional sides of Spiced Ginger Cranberry Sauce, Indian-style Tadka Mashed Potatoes, and Honey Roasted Delicata Squash!
For dessert, I recommend Pumpkin Pie Samosas, Garam Masala Sweet Potato Casserole, or Strawberry Cream Cheese Turnovers.
If you're making a large batch and have leftovers, store the carrots in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
To reheat the carrots, return them to a lightly oiled baking sheet and put them into the oven at 425°F for 5 minutes, or warm all the way through. Alternatively, sauté them in a pan or microwave until warm.
More Thanksgiving Recipes to try
Garam Masala Oven Roasted Carrots
- 2 lbs carrots, trimmed and peeled
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- salt, to taste
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoon toasted almonds
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, garam masala, salt, and ginger garlic paste.
- Place the trimmed and peeled carrots on a baking sheet. Pour the olive oil mixture over the carrots and toss to coat. Arrange the carrots in a single layer.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and roast them in the oven for 10 minutes. Flip them over and continue to roast them for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- Once the carrots are done, transfer them to a serving platter. Garnish them with chopped parsley, toasted almonds, and dried cranberries. Serve warm.
Leave a Reply